Sunday, November 14, 2010

Getting my Culture on


Hello Lyceum friends! Happy fall season to everyone! I’m new to the blogging world so for those of you who don’t know me I’m Brandon DePetro, this semester’s Publishing Editor and I’ve been getting geared up for the end of the semester. First time with five classes this semester and I’m ready for a vacation. But it hasn’t been all work and no play.

For my Art History Urban Design class we went to visit Tyree Guyton’s Heidelberg Project in Detroit. I went once in 2004 and the difference in six years is incredible! We even got the opportunity to meet and have a Q&A session with the artist himself! He even let one student place a stuffed animal on one piece and another student got to draw a dot in the street! If you haven’t gotten a chance to go yet, do it before it gets too cold (although it does look amazing in the winter as well). There’s more information at their website www.Heidelberg.org

We also went to the Museum of Contemporary art in Detroit for the “Spatial City: An Architecture of Idealism” exhibition started by Architect Yona Friedman. He looked at the idea of a city in terms of a “floating city”. In one of his exhibits, he had dozens of different shaped cardboard boxes strewn about on rope netting that hung about ten feet in the air. But the coolest thing by far that was there was a piece that was made of cardboard boxes that happened to resemble a fort and I can’t lie and say I wasn’t half tempted to jump in that thing and claim myself as the king of cardboard box-tropolis, but on better judgment, I refrained. The exhibit is going on until December 30th so if you want to see something interesting over the holiday break this is your ticket to excitement!

Check out their website for other events www.mocadetroit.org

(Photo taken by Kyley Gallagher of Guyton's work)

1 comment:

  1. Hey, this wasn't as hard as you made it seem! It sounds like you had fun, too. Double thumbs up. :)

    ReplyDelete